If you are starting a new business or remodeling an old property that the public will use, it’s essential that you take the proper safety precautions. Egress signs have to meet different qualifications in every city and state, and sometimes in every county in a particular state. In general, authorities expect your exit signs to be:
- Easy to read,
- Easily found and understood by anyone using your building, including kids, the elderly, the disabled and people with visual impairments, and
- Your signs must clearly instruct the reader on exactly how to get to the nearest exit
The US EPA estimates that there are over 100 million exit signs in use throughout the United States alone. The number is growing every day. When safety-proofing your property, the best way to go about it is to take the easiest route possible. In doing so, you’ll save money, time and headaches. You can also rest assured the work has been done correctly.
There are 2 popular options many business owners and facility managers choose for emergency lighting. These are edge-lit exit signs and LED exit signs.
Edge-lit exit signs are the ideal choice if you want a high-quality sign that also blends with your building’s décor. Edge-lit signs meet the rigid specifications most authoritative bodies require, while featuring soft finishes and rounded corners; making them the ideal choice for high-end corporate offices and buildings.
LED, (light emitting diode) exit signs are the other popular choice. One important reason is because many businesses and facilities need to have more than 5 or 10 exit signs. Some buildings need as many as 20, 50 or 100. Because of this, exit signs consume a lot of energy. LED signs, (though not always the most stylish), can help to cut back on that energy bill and lower your energy costs. LED exit signs are also high-quality. They are rugged, bright and consistent. They also work well in hallways that tend to be smoky or dim.
Once you’ve simplified your lighting choices, the next step is to ensure that your lighting is compliant with your local governing body’s requirements at all times. The easiest way to do this is to work with a team of factory-trained techs, like the team here at Lighting Services Inc; from installation to maintenance. In fact, when it comes to emergency lighting and building safety measures, lighting maintenance is just as important as the installation. Your lighting team will complete annual or biannual safety checks after installation to:
- Replace any parts that need it,
- Ensure your lighting operates as required,
- Ensure your lighting is compliant with your local fire code,
- Test and re-calibrate chargers, batteries and lamps,
- Tighten any loose or damaged lighting fixtures,
- Check and refill electrolyte levels in your batteries,
- Update your inspection tickets and place them tastefully on fixtures,
- Clean corrosion off of batteries and coat them with protective spray,
- Cycle gel-type batteries, and
- Provide you with a signed report of the work completed
In addition, maintenance doesn’t end with inspections. Call us anytime to fix any problem or to replace any non-working parts. Contact us today at Lighting Services Inc. to simplify your egress lighting solutions and safety protocol. You have enough to worry about.